Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Image-based quizzes in Formative

Looking at Richard Byrne's blog post, How to Create Image-Based Quizzes in Formative, I decided to take a look at the feature and test it out. I've used Formative a few times in my math class, but always had a few issues:
  1. Having students log in with their Google accounts was difficult --- it worked, but students were not good at logging out from both Formative and Google Classroom at the end of class, and that caused serious problems for the next class.
  2. The sketching UI is nowhere as nice as awwapp.com. The line work isn't as smooth, so my students have problems writing out text and erasing is much more difficult. This appears to be a problem on iPads only.
  3. My local network is a little too slow to show student responses well on my Smartboard.
Given all that, I love the concept of Formative, it's just that the execution is problematic at times.

You can follow the instructions on how to create this type of quiz on Byrne's blog (he has a video). I wrote up a quiz where my students would critique two solutions to a rate problem. You can view and take the quiz yourself by going to https://goformative.com/student/#/assignments/NWRM429.



What works great about this type of quiz is that the questions can be located right next to the information in question. So above, I am asking students to correct the error in the final answer right next to the error itself.


You can see the same feature in this image. Question 3 appears right where the unit rate is computed.  You can also see question 4 down below, ready to be clicked on (it's a question on decimal division). This isn't a huge change from what you can do in a Google Form, but it's slightly more interactive and I can see my students having some fun trying to find the questions as they work through an image.

No comments:

Post a Comment