Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Really... Playlists are a thing??

Now, I'm no stranger to YouTube: I have a channel (Dr. Mark Schlatter's Math Videos --- real spiffy title, huh?), and I have up about 130 videos that I have created over the last four years. But I didn't understand playlists until this past week.

Note that I'm pretty unadorned when it comes to search. I don't use filters in my Gmail, and I only add folders to Google Drive when I absolutely have to. For the most part, I trust that a Google search will find what I need. But I hadn't realized how playlists make it easier for folks to find connected material.

I created one recently to put together my tutorials on Google Forms, but it wasn't until training to take the Google Certified Educator Level 1 certification that I realized (1) that bundling my videos together might be helpful and (2) I can build playlists of other videos.

Since I taught college for many years, I have a bunch of videos for the calculus sequence (especially the second year), so I built some playlists to bundle those together.

(There's an eigenvalue/eigenvector video in the first playlist that's fairly popular.)
But I also realized that I can build playlists of videos I show in my middle school classroom, not only to help me remember them (much better than looking at what I had embedded in my slides from last year), but so I can send students to the playlist to help them out. Right now, these playlists are a bit sparse, but I expect to grow them over the year.

And I need to add in some of my own videos....
Building playlists is super-easy --- you just find the "+ Add to" under the bottom left hand corner of the video (look under the description) and add the video to an existing playlist (or create a new one).

See that "+ Add to" at the bottom left?

Here's the dialog box I get --- yours will be differ depending on what
playlists you have created.
For most folks, I'm guessing this is not news. For me, this is a big example of how I am still learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment